Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Most Amazing Day to Date!

So I know that it has been a few weeks since my last post. It's been difficult to try to write about something because I haven't traveled outside the LuleĆ„ area and I have finally come to grips with the fact that I do have school work to do (yes, Tony, it isn't all fun and games while abroad). 

However, on March 1st, a Friday, I planned a trip with my French friend, Benoit, to go to Storforsen. We also took along three others: Brice, Remy, and Enishi. We rented a vehicle from a company called "Rent-a-Wreck" (I know what you're thinking and I was a little hesitant at first). In the video below there is a picture of our ride in all it's 1.4 liter glory. The video itself highlights all of the best photos I captured during our visit and is a much better representation of the trip than what I can describe in words. One thing I did want to mention: I tried to capture video so that I could pass it along to you, but I was having technical difficulties with my GoPro camera so it didn't happen as anticipated. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy that part of the video.

I say "part" because the second half of the video contains even more photographs from the very same day. For the first time here in Sweden (and for that matter, in my life) I saw the Northern Lights. It was more than I ever expected! It had a huge impact on my appreciation of nature. It also tested my photography abilities, and in which I am excited to pass along some awesome photographs.


Tim adL of Germany

Likewise, I asked my good friend, Tim, who also joined me on the shoot, if I could borrow some of his straight-off-camera pictures. Tim managed to capture the lights much better than me since he had gone out earlier and the lights were much stronger at that time. Unfortunately, I was unable to join him at that earlier time due to a conflicting dinner party I was attending (more on that in a moment). I did meet up with him and Benoit later that evening and we spent two and a half hours out in -10°C weather (and with the wind it was even colder). If you would like to see more photos from Tim since his arrival to LuleĆ„ (back in August) feel free to visit his blog.



In the middle of Storforsen and the Northern Lights I attended a German dinner with some of my closest friends I've made here. Anytime I can have a cultural meal (food, atmosphere, etc.) I take advantage of the opportunity. Dinner was composed of white sausages (weisswurst), pretzels (brezen), pasta salad, and wheat beer (weissbier). I was told that it was not only a German dinner, but a very Bavarian one as well. Afterwards, we pulled the table away and sang and danced to some German party songs, most of which I learned the moves to... The people I was with were incredibly awesome! I really appreciate everything they have taught me about their culture. And because of that dinner party and the company I was in, I truly felt German at heart.

I hope you enjoy this video. It is a little long but bear with me. It is much more indicative of my day than words can describe.




As always, I love to hear a good word from you all. Don't hesitate to drop a comment below or on my YouTube channel.

- Jonathan

1 comment: